This course is for the intermediate and advanced watercolourist. We will learn to simplify an image into exciting abstract shapes and colours. Work on improving composition. Practice glazing to get depth and mystery.
Week 1: Contour drawing/painting (figures, flowers)
Week 2: Underpainting with gesso texture
Week 3: Monoprinting
Week 4: Develop and artwork negatively
Week 5: Abstracted landscape/figures with water pigment effects.
Week 6: Underpainting with handmade paper texture
Week 7: Compose using organic & geometric shapes
Week 8: Work on unfinished pieces & start a new one if time permits.
Each week we will get started with the foil exercises to loosen/free up –
1) We will work on a black/white copy of the image to work out the shapes or feel the shapes with charcoal,
Indian Ink or cut out shapes.
2) Doodle around with water and pigments to get interesting positive & negative shapes.
3) There will be a demo before you get started.
Day / Time
1. Cheap drawing paper for thumbnail sketches, thin willow charcoal sticks.
2. Watercolour Brushes – Flat in large, medium and small sizes, palette, rag, wax crayons/oil pastels, watercolour crayons, masking fluid, gesso acrylic medium.
3. Tube watercolours (at least the primaries e.g aureoline (yellow), blue ultramarine, alizarine crimson).
4. 2 or 3 sheets/ per week of loose watercolour paper or pads – good quality ie Arches or Fabriano (medium rough) and 2 or 3 sheets of lesser quality ie Montval and (just a suggestion) Hot pressed watercolour paper for Week 2, 3 and 4.
Terms and Conditions
1. Pre-registration required for all classes and payments to be made in advance.
2. Students must attend classes they have registered and paid for.
3. Makeup classes provided and refunds issued only if art center cancels any lessons.